Monday, March 7, 2011

My Honda Commercial

One of my coworkers and I were going to lunch one day at a place called Walk On's in Baton Rouge, when out of nowhere appears a guy with a camera, a girl with a microphone, and another girl with a clipboard. It turns out that they were with a car dealership in Baton Rouge called Richard's Honda. They asked us if we had Hondas (which we do) and if we'd say something nice about Richard's Honda. So we did.

Here's the video. I'm the second person being interviewed, talking about how much easier it is to take the family on a trip in the van than it was to pack up our old car.



(Click here if you can't see the embedded video above.)

It was a lot of fun being interviewed. The girl who interviewed me was really great. I told her that I stuttered just so she'd know, and she told me that I could say whatever I wanted, that they'd edit out anything that I wanted them to take out or that they couldn't use, and that she wouldn't ask me leading questions if I didn't want her to. Pretty cool.

My speech wasn't perfect. I stuttered on the word "Odyssey" and a few others. I didn't really control my secondary characteristics when I did it - my eyes fluttered, etc. But I thought I did pretty well.

So thanks, Richard's Honda, for not only selling great cars, but for giving me a chance to practice my speech in public!

5 comments:

  1. I appreciate the fact that you didnt chicken out !!!! I remember 2 years back I had the same opporunity to face the camera for a news channel and I just didnt have the courage to go for it!!! I wish I get such a chance again !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great that you were willing to speak to a reporter and have it broadcast. I didn't like that she offered to edit out anything unusable. To me, that kind of implies that stuttring is wrong, bad, shameful. It's part of us - doesn't define us - but indeed part of us. I don't want my stuttering edited out, just like I wouldn't want the color of my eyes changed.
    But we all are on different parts of our journey. Congratulations for speaking up and blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam, thanks for the comments. I don't think the reporter was trying to be offensive - she was just trying to put me at ease. They also did leave in my stuttering of a few words. I have to give them credit for that.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, even though you stuttered, you look like you LOVE talking. Like me. LOL. Great job. You aren't afraid of anything! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete