Sunday, January 16, 2011

School Days

I always loved being in school, but the first day at a new school was always very stressful for me.

I was always concerned with how would kids react to my speech. And I had questions that probably most kids have: Would I fit in? Would I make friends? Would I be popular?

I shouldn't have been so stressed out about these things, because I was always blessed with lots of great friends who never cared that I stuttered. And if I had a friend who wasn't a positive influence on me, then we weren't friends for very long.

By the time I was in high school I had developed a strategy for dealing with my stuttering: I introduced myself to my teachers after the first day of class, explained that I stuttered, and told them that there would be days when I would be having a lot of trouble speaking and would not raise my hand, but that didn't mean that I wasn't paying attention or didn't know the answer. That did several things for me: it got the whole stuttering issue out of the way, and also challenged myself to start a conversation - by introducing myself (one of the hardest things for me to do).

Of course, that didn't mean that I didn't have to answer questions on the spot. My teachers held me to a high standard, and expected me to hold myself to a high standard as well. I was required to participate, whether or not I felt like I was having a good day fluency-wise. That was a good life lesson, because at work, I don't get to pick what days I get to interact with other people. Talking is a required everyday occurrence!

And I bring this all up because my life pretty much changed one day in high school when I introduced myself to my 9th grade science teacher, Mrs. Gatz. I had pulled Mrs. Gatz aside to tell her that I stuttered, and she immediately asked me if I knew "Jordan." Apparently, everyone knew Jordan except for me. And apparently, Jordan stuttered.

Also, it just so happens that Jordan was the student body president.

Talk about lifting a burden from my shoulders! I no longer was anxious about how people would react to my stuttering, because I had just found out that we had a trail blazer at our school who stuttered, and to top it off he was the student body president.

I still remember the day when it was time for my entire freshman class to hear all the candidates for student office speak. We filled the cafeteria then listened to one person after the next get up and talk. One courageous girl even sang a song in front of the entire school. And then Jordan got up in front of the room and spoke. He told us why he wanted to run, what he would do if elected, and thanked us all for our time. And while he spoke, you could hear a pin drop. His speech was not 100% fluent, but he said everything that he wanted to say, and everyone listened intently. Once he was finished, the room erupted in cheers. And Jordan won in a landslide vote.

I will always remember that moment. Before that day, I didn't think I had the courage to get up in front of a large group of people and speak. But after, I felt like there was nothing I couldn't do.

Jordan and I ended up becoming good friends. He went to LSU, then went off to Harvard. HARVARD. His speech never held him back. He is a true inspiration in my life.

So I want to thank Jordan in my blog today. I want to tell him that he inspires me, and that his courage that day still impresses me.

I also want to challenge anyone who stutters - go do something this week / month / year that you have never been comfortable doing. Introduce yourself to a cute girl that you like, but have never had the courage to talk to. Interview for a better job that will greatly enhance your life. Run for office. Don't just do it for yourself. You never know who's in the crowd, and you never know how it will affect them.

1 comment:

  1. Mrs. Gatz and I did not get off to a great start and I will always remember that about her...I'm glad to know that she made a positive difference in your life.

    ReplyDelete